MOMENTUM is a $750 million investment by USAID and a suite of projects which aims to accelerate reductions in maternal, newborn, and child mortality and morbidity in high-burden countries by increasing host country commitment and capacity to provide high-quality, integrated health care. Through MOMENTUM, USAID meets countries where they are on their development journey and provides the support needed to progress towards self-reliance for health.
There are six unique awards including:
- MOMENTUM Integrated Health Resilience: Led by IMA World Health/Corus
- MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership: Led by Jhpiego
- MOMENTUM Private Healthcare Delivery: Led by Population Services International (PSI)
- MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator (MKA): Led by Population Reference Bureau (PRB)
- MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics: Led by EngenderHealth
- MOMENTUM Routine Immunization Transformation and Equity (MRITE): Led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc.
CCIH’s Role in MOMENTUM
Christian Connections for International Health is involved in MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership. MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership focuses on technical and capacity development assistance (TCDA) to ministries of health and other country partners to improve outcomes for maternal, newborn, and child health; voluntary family planning; and reproductive health care (MNCH/FP/RH).
It seeks to build upon existing evidence and best practices as well as to catalyze innovations that enable government-led partnerships to deliver high-quality, evidence-based interventions that accelerate reductions in maternal, newborn, and child mortality and morbidity at scale. MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership contributes to global technical leadership, learning, and USAID’s policy dialogue to achieve global MNCH/FP/RH goals by supporting globally-endorsed initiatives, strategies, frameworks, guidelines, and action plans. To read more about MOMENTUM visit the program page.
CCIH makes up the Faith Engagement Team (FET) of the MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership program and is involved in many activities. CCIH current activities and partners include:
- Ensuring MNCH/FP/RH services with the Christian Health Association of Sierra Leone.
- Faith Engagement to Address Vaccine Hesitancy and Promote Uptake.
- Creating a toolkit for Faith Engagement in Perinatal/Maternal Mental Health.
- Primary Health Care landscape.
- Including faith-based organizations in research and capacity development activities regarding Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene and Infection Prevention and Control.
In 2023, the African Christian Health Association Platform (ACHAP) joined USAID’s MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership team as the regional health network partner to strengthen their capacity and the capacity of their more than 40 members to implement water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and infection prevention and control (IPC) services in their health care facility networks. ACHAP conducted a baseline survey to identify their members’ WASH/IPC capacity needs, launched a WASH technical working group, and created a WASH/IPC learning resource webpage on their website to be a one-stop shop to share current WASH/IPC learning events, networking opportunities, and resources with their members. ACHAP is currently focusing on building the waste management capacity of their members, as this was identified as a need based on the results of the baseline assessment that ACHAP conducted.
Completed projects for the Faith Engagement Team under MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership include:
- High Impact Practices (HIP): Strengthening Partnership with Faith Actors in Family Planning: A Strategic Planning Guide (SPG)
- Engaging Faith Actors to Improve Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Infection Prevention Control (IPC) with the Christian Health Association of Ghana, the Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau and the Christian Health Association of Sierra Leone.
- Strengthening Faith-Based Drug Supply Organizations with Cameroon Baptist Convention Central Pharmacy, Presbyterian Church Central Pharmacy, National Catholic Health Service (Catholic Drug Centre), Ghana Adventist Health Services, Mission for Essential Drugs and Supplies (MEDS), Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA) Central Pharmacy Limited (ECPL), and Joint Medical Stores.
- Faith-based Organizations Supporting Very Young Adolescents in Bangladesh with World Renew and World Mission Prayer League (LAMB Hospital).
- FP/RH: Contributing to content for the FP Training Resource Package (TRP), planning committee for the FP2030 South to South learning workshop: Interfaith Action to Drive Progress on FP2030 Commitments and the FP2030 Accelerating Access to Postpartum and Post-abortion Family Planning Workshop.
If you have any questions about CCIH’s involvement in MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership, please contact mona.bormet (at) ccih.org