MOMENTUM is a $750 million investment by USAID and a suite of projects which aims to accelerate reductions in maternal, newborn, and child mortality and morbidity in high-burden countries by increasing host country commitment and capacity to provide high-quality, integrated health care. Through MOMENTUM, USAID meets countries where they are on their development journey and provides the support needed to progress towards self-reliance for health.
There are six unique awards including:
- MOMENTUM Integrated Health Resilience: Led by IMA World Health/Corus
- MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership: Led by Jhpiego
- MOMENTUM Private Healthcare Delivery: Led by Population Services International (PSI)
- MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator (MKA): Led by Population Reference Bureau (PRB)
- MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics: Led by EngenderHealth
- MOMENTUM Routine Immunization Transformation and Equity (MRITE): Led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc.
CCIH’s Role in MOMENTUM
Christian Connections for International Health is involved in MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership. MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership is a five year project that focuses on technical and capacity development assistance (TCDA) to ministries of health and other country partners to improve outcomes for maternal, newborn, and child health; voluntary family planning; and reproductive health care (MNCH/FP/RH).
It seeks to build upon existing evidence and best practices as well as to catalyze innovations that enable government-led partnerships to deliver high-quality, evidence-based interventions that accelerate reductions in maternal, newborn, and child mortality and morbidity at scale. MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership contributes to global technical leadership, learning, and USAID’s policy dialogue to achieve global MNCH/FP/RH goals by supporting globally-endorsed initiatives, strategies, frameworks, guidelines, and action plans. To read more about MOMENTUM visit the program page.
CCIH makes up the Faith Engagement Team (FET) of the MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership program and is involved in many activities. CCIH activities and partners include:
- Ensuring MNCH/FP/RH services in the face of COVID with the Christian Health Association of Sierra Leone.
- Engaging Faith Actors to Improve Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Infection Prevention Control (IPC) with the Christian Health Association of Ghana, the Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau and the Christian Health Association of Sierra Leone.
- Strengthening Faith-Based Drug Supply Organizations with Cameroon Baptist Convention Central Pharmacy, Presbyterian Church Central Pharmacy, National Catholic Health Service (Catholic Drug Centre), Ghana Adventist Health Services, Mission for Essential Drugs and Supplies (MEDS), Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA) Central Pharmacy Limited (ECPL), and Joint Medical Stores.
- Faith Based Organizations Supporting Very Young Adolescents in Bangladesh with World Renew and World Mission Prayer League (LAMB Hospital).
Future projects for the Faith Engagement Team under MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership include:
- Respectful Maternity Care
- Faith Engagement to Address Misinformation and Promote Vaccine Uptake
- Faith Engagement in Maternal Mental Health
- High Impact Practices & Training Resource Package
If you have any questions about CCIH’s involvement in the MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership Program, please contact carolyn.obrien (at) ccih.org